Skip to main content

DuraCoat: new life for the old shotgun


The old scatter gun was showing some age.  It was the first gun I  paid for myself, with money I saved up from cutting grass and other chores---a whopping $300 or so new.  Some rust showing here and there.  The "bluing" wearing off.  A cracked edge where the stock meets the receiver.  

Despite it being a "cheap" gun, I'd always liked how it shouldered, and I felt like I swung through my shots better with the thing---maybe because of the heavier weight of the over and under.  I wasn't ready to sell it for next to nothing.  


I'd shot my cousin's CZ "All Terrain,"  and really enjoyed it.  The gun is an over and under featuring a walnut stock and forearm with an "OD" green receiver and barrel coated with Cerakote---in an effort to make the typically less weatherproof over and under more durable in the field.  I thought it looked cool too:


(https://www.gundogmag.com/editorial/cz-redhead-premier-allterrain-shotgun-review/466807)

I wasn't sure about how to Cerakote a gun, but after some "googling" I learned of DuraCoat.  DuraCoat which is more like regular spray paint.  I figured my old over and under was a good contender to try this stuff out---I had nothing to lose.  

You simply follow the directions.  Disassemble the gun.  Scuff up the metal surfaces with the provided pad.  Clean the metal surfaces with the provided degreaser.  Tape off areas you don't want painted.  Hang the parts up somewhere.  Get to painting. 



I tried my best to spray in light, even coats to prevent pooling and drips.   Despite it being my first attempt, the project didn't turn out too badly.  

The old gun lives on, now more durable than before, ready for the woods, swamp, and salt marsh.    



 If you want to try it out, get some DuraCoat on Amazon.  

Comments

  1. Good info! I had an old gun similar to yours that I trashed recently. 40 year old O/U that I bought in college for $200 new. Wish I had it now to try!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun and easy project! I swear I shoot better with that gun than my "fancy" semi-auto!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Simple Things---the love of a canoe

You don't need much to get out and enjoy the natural world.  Really, you don't need anything at all.  Just take a walk in the woods and breathe in that fresh air.  Having said that, a few items expand your range into nature exponentially.  A simple canoe is one of those things.   Pick one up cheap on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, or even Walmart.  You don't need anything fancy.  One person can easily lift a less than 15 footer, especially made of ABS or Royalex or other light materials, and about any vehicle can carry that size boat on the roof.  

DIY Camp Shower

When you're doing outdoors stuff, you get dirty.  Maybe you're camping and have a few days of grime on you.  Or you've been out hiking and sweating in the sticky summertime.  Or you've been swimming at the beach, you're covered in sand.  You don't want to stink up the truck, all muddy and sandy, grit everywhere... all in the seats and stuck on the steering wheel.  Or maybe you're out deer hunting and need some pressurized water to wash off your fresh venison.  Or maybe your four legged friend decided to take a mud bath.   There's a simple DIY solution, a camp shower---a few pieces of PVC, some fittings, some basic tools, and a bike pump or air compressor are all you need.  Spray paint it black if you want some solar heat on a cool fall day in the field.  Of course, there are companies that build these things, for a few more dollars, but where's the fun in that? This REI write up was helpful, as was this, and other YouTube videos . ...

The Draw Hunt Club

Tradition.  I would wager that's what that many of us love about the outdoors.  That sameness that keeps us coming back.  The same familiar duck and deer camps.  The same family and friends.  The same dogs. The same memories of those who've left us.  The same passed down guns and gear.  The same dented trucks and worn-fiberglass skiffs and scraped and shot-up decoys. The same meals and snacks.  The same old thermos of coffee,  perhaps with a hint of something extra to keep you a bit warmer.  Season after season.  Year after year.  Things that make us feel that secure continuity of life, especially when the world around us seems more ever-changing and unpredictable.  Things that make us feel a sense of community, family, and connection to this place and our place in it. One of those traditions, for me and a few buddies, is the opportunity for some permit duck hunts.  We started this thing back in college. We've continu...

GET IN TOUCH

Name

Email *

Message *